Today we have Inventory Dimensions
Inventory Dimensions are classified into 3 groups
Product :: Color,Size,Configuration.
Storage :: Site, Warehouse,Location,Pallet Id.
Tracking :: Batch number , Serial number.
The Configuration technology field specifies which type of product configuration, if any, will be applied to the newly created product.
Predefined variant - This type should be chosen if the product will not be configured, but simply rely on the user’s choice of Color, and/or Size, and/or Configuration for each transaction
Dimension-based configuration - This type should be chosen if the user will build a configurable BOM that relies on configuration rules to build the Config ID and the BOM lines. (This technology may only be chosen if Configuration is active on the Product dimension group selected for the product)
Rule-based configuration - This type should be chosen if the product will use Product builder
Constraint-based configuration - This type should be chosen if the product will use the new AX 2009 Constraint based product configuration method. (This technology may only be chosen if Configuration is active and is the lone Product dimension active for the Product dimension group selected for the product)
In Ax 2012 we have two types of items Products and product Masters, Product dimension group can only be selected to Product Masters.
Navigate to Product information management -> Setup -> Dimension groups -> Product dimension groups.
Click on ‘Active’ check box beside the Product dimension you want to as shown in the above figure to activate the Product Dimensions
Navigate to Product information management -> Setup -> Dimension groups -> Storage dimension groups.
To make Site a mandatory, then select Mandatory check box.
· To make Primary stocking active for Sitethen select the ‘Primary stocking’ check box.
· To activate a dimension select ‘Active’ check box for that particular dimension.
Navigate to Product information management -> Setup -> Dimension groups -> Tracking dimension groups.
To activate serial number control (a unique serial number can only be entered) select ‘Serial number control’ check box.
Assigning the Dimension groups to a new product of type Product Master:
To create a product for a single company or entity go to Product information management -> Common -> Released products.
· Click the Product -> New -> Product button.
To Assign Tracking and Storage Dimension Groups click the Product -> Set up -> Dimension group button.
To Assign Product dimensions
· As we have only selected Configurations and size in the Product Dimension Group, we can only see these two Dimensions in the Product Dimension form.
· Now click on ‘New’ Button to create a new configuration.
· Enter the Configuration and description of that particular configuration.
· Click on ‘size’ to create ‘Size’ dimension option
· Follow the same procedure followed for Configuration creation to create new ‘Sizes’.
Creating Product Variants::
· In AX 2009, there is a concept called Item Dimension combinations. An item must have item dimension combinations created in order to process items with item dimensions. The same concept is renamed as Product Variants in AX 2012.
· To create Product Variants for a product go to Released Product form ->Product Tab -> ‘Product master’ action group -> ‘Released product variants’ button.
· Clicking on the Variant suggestions button will show all the possible combinations of Configurations and Sizes.
· Click the Select all button to select all the combinations or else you can select required combinations and then click on Create button.
· All the Product Variants are created. Now Close the Released product variants form.